Welcome to part 3 of our Master Bedroom Update on a Budget! So far we made our plan for this room, DIY’ed a shiplap wall, and now for some new lighting! This is a simple DIY project I made that changed the whole look in our bedroom. And it was easy and cheap! Check out how I made two DIY industrial farmhouse pendant lights and brackets for $40 total!
You can see Part One Click here and Part Two (Shiplap) Click here. When I started this project, I didn’t plan to redo the lighting in here. We have two lamps that are from Goodwill – I spray painted them white and bought some decent shades. However, the shades are always crooked! No matter what – every time I walk in our room, I have to look at wonky shades. I like the look of pendant lights and saw several easy tutorials on Pinterest. This one from mylittlehousehappyheart caught my eye in particular and her directions were clear so I figured, why not? Thanks Holly for the inspiration!
DIY Industrial Farmhouse Pendant Lights
This post contains affiliate links – see my full disclosure here
- cord light kits – $8.99 each at Michaels
- wire cage pendants – $8.99 each at Michaels (these are the ones I have but they are currently out of stock so I also found these on Amazon)
- 2 bulbs – I had 2 60 watt bulbs already
- Wood Glue – already had on hand but if not you can get a small bottle for about $3
- 1×2 board that is at least 4 feet long (4 feet will give you room for error) – $3.66
- Wood screws/sheetrock screws – we just used 4 sheetrock screws that we already had on hand
- Stain – I used leftover Minwax stain in Ebony – you will only need a small amount.
- Miter saw – I had this on hand – if you don’t have one, find a neighbor or someone that can do a few quick cuts for you. Definitely don’t want to run out and buy a miter saw for a simple project like this!
Make Your Cuts
I cut two 13″ pieces of wood, then 2 10″ pieces and then used the miter saw to cut an 2 11″ pieces at 45 degree angles. They are 11 inches from the longest points.
Sand down any rough edges and that’s all the cuts you need!
Stain and Put them Together!
I use Minwax stains for most of my projects and for this one I used “ebony”. It only takes a small amount and I didn’t want to buy a whole new can of another color. I was worried it may be too dark, but one thin coat with an old lint free shirt and it was perfect.
Initially my plan was to drill a hole large enough for the cord to feed through. However these light kits come with a switch that’s close to the bottom of the cord. It’s about 2.5 inches long and 2 inches wide so there is no feeding that through a small hole. This was a problem because these are going on the wall and I need the back of the bracket to lay flat against the wall. Mr Brown Dog is kind of particular, so I know wrapping the cord along the bracket would not work for him.
My solution is to notch out a groove on the top of the bracket and the back for the cord to lay in. Kind of like a little ditch that hides the cord. I used the miter saw and made a groove in each piece and then we finished it out by clamping it to saw horses and cutting the rest of the ditch with a jigsaw. You don’t want to go through the wood. They aren’t neat and clean (I don’t own the right tools to make it neat and clean), but you don’t see it. Unless you are peering over the top of my light fixtures and in that case, I’m not sure I want you in my room!
Glue them Together
I used wood glue to attach the pieces together. If I didn’t have grooves in the back and top, I would screw them together too, but no room for screws, so here’s hoping the wood glue is good enough!
Attach them to the Wall
It’s a good idea to drill a few pilot holes before attaching to the wall. This wood is pretty thin and you don’t want to risk splitting it while you’re drilling into the wall. We drilled one pilot hole on each end before putting them up. We made sure the pendant lights are hanging at the same length and wallah! Two lights and brackets for $40!
I love these DIY industrial farmhouse pendant lights! And $40 for both! Not too bad and I still had a few bucks leftover for the rest of the makeover. Stay tuned for the final post of our Master Bedroom update on a budget! And be sure to check out the shiplap we added!
Update – You can see the final makeover by clicking here!